Fear the Reaper: Man hospitalised after eating red hot chilli pepper

Found on The Register on Tuesday, 10 April 2018
Browse Nature

The 34-year-old was rushed to an emergency room in New York after developing "excruciating" pain from eating the Carolina Reaper, according to a report in the British Medical Journal this week.

According to Paul Bosland, professor of horticulture at New Mexico State University and director of the Chile Pepper Institute, has said the grub can theoretically cause death, but in most cases people's bodies "would react sooner and not allow it to happen".

Dragon's Breath was created by a farmer for the Chelsea Flower show and is so potent that it had to be kept in a sealed container when it went on display.

Up to a certain level chillis are good, but at some point they turn into an impossible feat.